[Advaita-l] [ADMIN] bouncing mail and disabled subscriptions

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Apr 16 02:47:47 CDT 2014

You may have noticed some disruption in mail from the list over the past
day or two.  Do not be alarmed; we have not been hacked or anything like
that.

The reason is that a few days ago Yahoo decided to implement an aggressive
anti-spam measure that involved rejecting any mail that looks like it
comes from Yahoo but comes from another server.  In principle this is a
good idea but unfortunately some legitimate sources of mail such as our
mailing list software also use this technique.  So many yahoo (and
yahoo.in, yahoo.fr etc.) users stopped receiving mail from us.  Hotmail
users were also affected as their mail servers respect Yahoos rejection
notices.  Other providers were not affected as far as I know.  Also to
make matters worse, after our mailing list server receives too many
bounced messages, it helpfully decides that perhaps you are not interested
any more and disables your account.

Everything should be back to normal now.  I've reenabled disabled accounts
and upgraded the list server software to a version that works around this
problem.  (I hope. We shall see over the next few days ha ha.)

If you have any problems please write to listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
not to the list.