[Advaita-l] Padmapurana verse on Mayavada

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 03:35:13 CDT 2013

> RV: Please read the next verse. These high class devotees attain vishnu
> bhava because their goal is bhakti not even mukti.
> UNQUOTE
>
> SKB :The subsequent two verses only confirm what I wrote. I did not say
> that Bhakti goes waste. What I said is that those with pure bhakti  don't
> get any type of Mukti, as bhakti incapacitates them to desire Mukti. They
> may be able to deal with the three gunas better,  but they cannot be
> nistraigunya as long they cherish bhakti alone. They can be happy in their
> state as long as they remain devoted to the Lord but the Mukti is not for
> them.

RV: A pure bhakta rejects all types mukti including ekatva. It does not
mean that he is bound by trigunas. The next verse clearly says that he
transcends the trigunas and attains the same bhAva as Vishnu.
sa eva bhakti-yogākhya
ātyantika udāhṛtaḥ
*yenātivrajya tri-guṇaṁ*
mad-bhāvāyopapadyate

> The Advaita is for the Mukti and that too the highest or the ultimate type
> of  Mukti, the Ekatva. Thus there is a paradigm difference between the
> Bhakti marga and the Jnana marga and it is sheer irrationality to compare
> Advata with Non-Advaita.

RV:  The desire for mukti is based on ignorance that I am bound. One who
knows that bondage and liberation are not real cannot desire for
liberation. A pure bhakta, who does not desire liberation and is
spontaneously engage in acts of devotion without expectation of results, is
a true jnAni not one who desires freedom out of fear of the trials and
tirbulations of the world. Even though he does not desire liberation
including ekatva, he attains Vishnu bhAvA as confirmed in the next verse.
This is advaita siddhi as per Sridhara.