[Advaita-l] Padmapurana verse on Mayavada

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 01:21:27 CDT 2013

1)
>QUOTE
>RV : Advaita negates the world, jiva and Ishwara calling it all an illusion or maya that exists so far as there is ignorance.
>UNQUOTE
>
>For Brahman there is no phenomenal world, no Jeeva and no Ishvara. Brahman is above all these. So also the Brahmavid. I am sure this will go over the head any non-advaitin as the Advaitin alone can understand this.
>
>2)
>QUOTE
>SKB :On
 the other hand there is no liberation for the Vaishnavas as the
Bhagavatam clearly states that the pure devotees do not want to get
liberated at the cost of service to the Lord and therefore they do not
accept any type of liberation. The relevant verse is as follows:
>sAlokyasArShTisAmIpya
>sArUpyaikatvamapyuta
>dIyamAnaM na grihnanti vinA matsevanaM
>janaH, (Bhagavatam 3.29.13)

RV: Please read the next verse. These high class devotees attain vishnu bhava because their goal is bhakti not even mukti.
UNQUOTE

SKB :The subsequent two verses only confirm what I wrote. I did not say  that Bhakti goes waste. What I said is that those with pure bhakti  don't get any type of Mukti, as bhakti incapacitates them to desire Mukti. They may be able to deal with the three gunas better,  but they cannot be nistraigunya as long they cherish bhakti alone. They can be happy in their state as long as they remain devoted to the Lord but the Mukti is not for them.

The Advaita is for the Mukti and that too the highest or the ultimate type of  Mukti, the Ekatva. Thus there is a paradigm difference between the Bhakti marga and the Jnana marga and it is sheer irrationality to compare Advata with Non-Advaita.