[Advaita-l] Brahma Jnana only for sanyasis?

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 04:31:12 CDT 2013

Namaste,

If we look at the Vedic literature, we find abundant examples
of Brahama Jnana being mastered by grihasthas.

To name a few: Shri Rama, Shri Krishna, Atri, Vyasa, Vasistha,
Agastya, Yajnavalkya, Sandipani, Bhrigu, Jamadagni, Janaka,
Ajatashatru were brahma jnani grihasthas.

Even the trinity and all devas are grihasthas. So most certainly
brahma jnana is not reserved for sannyasis only.

Regards,
Shrinivas

In Upanisads the disciple will approach his Guru with fuel sticks in hand.
Why? He will give the fuel sticks to the Guru. The Guru is not be a
Sanyasi. He may perform many Yajnas and he is teaching Brahma Jnana to
disciples. Sanyasis cannot perform Yajnas and fire rituals like this.

But this is going against Adi Sankara's argument Brahma Jnana will happen
after giving up Karma Kanda.