[Advaita-l] Pramana for adhyaropa apavada

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri May 10 15:36:44 CDT 2013

AchAryAr: We can have. But then (in that case), that which pervades the
world would only be shakti, not BhagavAn. Would it be nyAyam when the Vedas
have mentioned BhagavAn himself as sarva-vyApaka (all-pervading), and that
only Brahman is the greatest, to make that BhagavAn just a small
parichChinna mUrti (divided, detached, confined image) residing in the
VaikuNThaM and KailAsaM, giving the nature of his pervasion to only his
shakti?

RV: But how will this defect apply if we accept that shakti and shaktimaan
are absolutely non-different?

AchAryAr: If the upAsakA remains in happiness having darshan of the
VaikuNThAdi MUrtis, it would amount to the upAsakA becoming the bhoktA (one
who experiences) and that MUrti becoming the bhogyaM (that which is
experienced). The bhoktA is always AtmA, cetana (animate, intelligent,
conscious); bhogyaM is always anAtmA, achetana (not the AtmA,
inanimate/without consciousness). Therefore, if this man is having darshan
of that Divya MUrti and experiencing happiness, it can only be that he
makes that MUrti bhogyam and thereby anAtmA and jaDaM (inanimate). This is
a great apachAraM (spiritual offence).

Advaitins would not give room to such apachAraM. They would only accept the
kaivalya padavi (path to Unity) as MokShaM, where the bhedaM (difference,
distinction) of bhoktA-bhogyaM ceases into a state of unity of both

RV: If the Lord is the enjoyer and the jIvA is thhe enjoyed, then how can
the Lord be considered boghyam? Is it not that in advaita, the mUrti is
mithya or jadaprakrti?

AchAryAr: But there would be space between his bhujaM (arm) and the hand
that holds the disc, right? Would there be BhagavAn in that space? If he is
not there, the sarva-vyapakatvaM for the Bhagavan would be gone. If he is
there, the concept that the very MUrti with those limbs is BhagavAn would
be gone? Does BhagavAn pervade only that space?

RV: If the lord's form is mayika and hence beyond space and time, how
will the above logic that applies in space and time apply? We see in the
lila of krishna showing the universe, there is a krishna inside his own
mouth showing the universe to yasoda, in which there is another krishna
showing the universe to yasoda - ad infinitum.  There is Krishna outside
Krishna and inside Him, is it not?