[Advaita-l] Pramana for adhyaropa apavada

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri May 10 02:08:38 CDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Thanks for clarification. Does it not make those vedic statements that
> describe attributes untrue? Why not interpret attribute denying statements
> in such a way that the truth of attribute describing statements is not
> compromised?

Generally, this arguments holds against those who 'compromise' the 'abheda'
vAkyas by giving convoluted interpretations/derivations to those
sentences.  But in Advaita there is no compromise as such; all sentences
have their place and are important there.  Nor are they untrue.  Shankara
will be the last person to call vedic sentences untrue, being the champion
of Vaidika sampradAya.That is why in the Brahma sutras we have a
'sarvApEkShA nyAya' based on the sutra: 3.4.26  where it is stated that
'all the karma practices detailed/enjoined in the karma portion of the veda
are required for the jIva gaining samskAras that help him arrive at the
Jnana sAdhana. '  In this light one can see that all the shAstrakRta
adhyAropa is definitely needed for the benefit of the aspirant/jiva.  Thus
there is no true compromise; in fact Shankara has said in the Isha
bhashya:  'There is nothing in the Veda that is not worthy of practicing.'
So, saguNa Ishwara has an indispensable role in the run up to moksha prApti.

regards
vs