[Advaita-l] adhyAropa - apavAda in the Prashnopanishat

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 01:37:40 CDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM, vinayaka ns <brahmavadin at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this regard there is a fine statement by the AchArya in the
> bruhadAraNyaka shruti:
>

> 'yadi hi namarUpE na vyAkriyete tadA asyAtmano nirupAdhikam rUpam
> prajnAnaghanAkyam na pratikhyAyEta' 2-5-19
>
> If there was no manifestation of name & form (by brahman), we would have
> never known its true nature which is prajnAnaghana.

True.  Here the Upanishad itself does the adhyAropa - apavAda:

19.    This, verily, is the honey (madhu—doctrine) which Dadhyach,  versed
in the Atharva-Veda, taught the Asvins. The Mantra  (the rishi) perceived
this and said:  "He (the Lord) transformed Himself in accordance with each
form *and each form of His was for the sake of making Him  known*. The Lord
(Indra), through His mayas, appears  manifold; for to Him are yoked ten
horses, nay, hundreds. "This  Atman is the organs; It is ten and
thousands—many and  infinite.. This Brahman is without antecedent or
consequent,  without interior or exterior. This self, the all—perceiving,
is  Brahman. This is the teaching of the Upanishads."

The Part that says 'Brahman manifested Itself in order to making Itself
known' is the purpose of the adhyAropa.  The apavAda comes in the part: This
Brahman is without antecedent or consequent,  without interior or
exterior.//

Since Brahman is of such a nature it would be impossible for anyone to
realize It unless the name-form universe / manifestation is superimposed on
It.  With such a manifestation the aspirant can first of all
recognize/accept that Brahman at the basis of this manifestation 'exists'.
For every object is known as 'is' and the 'isness' is that of Brahman, nay,
Brahman Itself: satyam Brahma. This astitiva sampAdanam will result in the
realization of Brahman 'as It Is', that is, without any visheShas,
nirupAdhikam/nirvisheSham, after negating the manifestation through the
method of 'neti neti' taught by this Upanishad itself.

regards
subrahmanian.v