[Advaita-l] Naivedya question

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 23:52:56 CDT 2013

Namaste,

What I wrote is as follows:

As regards the offering becoming ucchishta we have the story of
Sabari offering fruits to Lord Ram,after tasting those herself. The
shraddha and bhakti elements  in the naivedya has the overwhelming
presence in the naivedya.
Unquote

Probably I should have used the word "pre-tasted" rather than calling it Ucchista. The verses in Aranya kanda of Valmiki Ramayana,mentioning Sabari  are  as follows:

यत्र ते सुकृतात्मानॊ विहरन्ति महर्षयः
तत पुण्यं शबरीस्थानं जगामात्मसमाधिना

दिवं तु तस्यां यातायां शबर्यां सवेन कर्मणा
लक्ष्मणेन सह भरात्रा चिन्तयाम आस राघवः

In some other versions based on Purana the pre-tasting of the fruits have beem mentioned.

Regards,
Sunil KB

As regards the offering becoming ucchishta we have the story of Sabari offering fruits to Lord Ram

//

Nowhere in vAlmiki rAmAyaNa, it is mentioned that shabari offered ucchiSTa fruits. Pls check it.

regs,
sriram