[Advaita-l] Saakshii-Jiiva-Iswara Analysis - VI

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Mar 21 19:39:00 CDT 2013

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, S Srivastava wrote:

> Sir: Sri JK spoke from the depths of self-realization.

He does not assume any abiding self so how can there be self-realization?

> Lack of appropriate
> vocabulary may have constrained his expression but if you stay patiently
> with him you will see that he is not talking gibberish.
>
> On a different note you may find many vedAnta teachers also who are unable
> to express the vision coherently and it is not due to lack of an
> appropriate vocabulary.

This why a guru is supposed to be both shrotriya and brahmanishta.  A
person who lacks either of these qualities has no business teaching
"self-realization."  Having a good PR department is not a substitute.  I
see no reason to patiently wait for gibberish to turn to clarity when
there are plenty of better alternatives.

Now it is true that e.g. the avadhuta marga for instance deliberately
embraces irrationality but the avadhutas live by themselves in the forest.
They do not presume to teach the general public.

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Venkata sriram P wrote:

> JK, no doubt, a great philosopher,

No he was an awful philosopher by the standards of either East or West.
Advaitins for all their acknowledgement of the treachery of language
consider tarka and vyakarana -- rigor in thought and speech as the
foundations of any serious sadhana.

> was an enigmatic personality and continues to be an enigma.

When one insists on pounding square pegs into round holes it is not
surprising one ends up in enigma.

> What amazes me is his *romantic relationship* with Rosalind, inspite of
> his *jIvanmukta sthiti*.  Probably, this is also one of the aspects of
> jnAni's charya :))

Or a simpler explanation he was a garden-variety bhogi who used religion
as his means of seduction.  It wouldn't be the first time such things have
happened.