[Advaita-l] Saakshii-Jiiva-Iswara Analysis - VI

Ramesam Vemuri vemuri.ramesam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 17:21:50 CDT 2013

Respected Dr. Sadananda Garu,

Just today I have been  casually perusing Facebook (an activity I do very
rarely).

A Message posted by one Sathees is reproduced below.

Swami Paramarthananda refers to JK's blunder in his "so called teaching"
re: Purification of the mind.

The sort of meditation JK talks about is no less than any of
such purifications. Perhaps, there is some misunderstanding somewhere.  You
also know JK well.

It is pure kAka tAlIya nyAya that I happened to see the message at FB soon
after I read your Post.

Warm regards,
ramesam

******

   -
   <http://www.facebook.com/#>
   <http://www.facebook.com/#>
   <http://www.facebook.com/#>
   <http://www.facebook.com/#>
   <http://www.facebook.com/#>SORT <http://www.facebook.com/#>

   - <http://www.facebook.com/Sathees2008>
   Sathees Chandran <http://www.facebook.com/Sathees2008>
   Without Self-knowledge There is No Meditation – J. Krishnamurti

   When the superficial, conscious mind is thus fully aware of all its
   activities, through that understanding it becomes spontaneously quiet, not
   drugged by compulsion or regimented by desire; then it is in a position to
   receive the intimation, the hints of the unconscious, of the many, many
   hidden layers of the mind -- the racial instincts, the buried memories,
   the concealed pursuits, the deep wounds that are still unhealed. It is only
   when all these have projected themselves and are understood, when the whole
   consciousness is unburdened, unfettered by any wound, by any memory
   whatsoever, that it is in a position to receive the eternal.

   Meditation is self-knowledge and without self-knowledge there is no
   meditation. If you are not aware of all your responses all the time, if you
   are not fully conscious, fully cognizant of your daily activities, merely
   to lock yourself in a room and sit down in front of a picture of your guru,
   of your Master, to meditate, is an escape, because without self-knowledge
   there is no right thinking and, without right thinking, what you do has no
   meaning, however noble your intentions are.

   Thus prayer has no significance without self-knowledge but when there is
   self-knowledge there is right thinking and hence right action. When there
   is right action, there is no confusion and therefore there is no
   supplication to someone else to lead you out of it. A man who is fully
   aware is meditating; he does not pray, because he does not want anything.
   Through prayer, through regimentation, through repetition and all the rest
   of it, you can bring about a certain stillness, but that is mere dullness,
   reducing the mind and the heart to a state of weariness. it is drugging the
   mind; and exclusion, which you call concentration, does not lead to reality
   -- no exclusion ever can.

   What brings about understanding is self-knowledge, and it is not very
   difficult to be aware if there is right intention. If you are interested to
   discover the whole process of yourself -- not merely the superficial part
   but the total process of your whole being -- then it is comparatively easy.
   If you really want to know yourself, you will search out your heart and
   your mind to know their full content and when there is the intention to
   know, you will know. Then you can follow, without condemnation or
   justification, every movement of thought and feeling; by following every
   thought and every feeling as it arises in you brings about tranquility
   which is not compelled, not regimented, but which is the outcome of having
   no problem, no contradiction. It is like the pool that becomes peaceful,
   quiet, any evening when there is no wind; when the mind is still, then that
   which is immeasurable comes into being.

   -- J. Krishnamurti.