[Advaita-l] I am Alone in the Universe?

S Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 21:03:17 CST 2013

> Am I in your dream or Are you in my dream?
>
> Even if you say that "I" and "you" are one and the same, which version
> wakes up  first?
>
> Say that "you" version wakes up, does that end the dream for the "I"
> version?

Sir: Take the example of your everyday dream.

You are the Dreamer.

However in your dream there are several characters out of which you
identify one special character as "dream I". Also there is a "dream you"
and a "dream world."

The "dream I" hears somewhere that all this world is a dream. He tells it
to "dream you". "Dream you" asks if this world is a dream then whether it
is in your dream or mine.

The answer is none. The "dream world" in neither in the dream of "dream I"
nor in the dream of "dream you". It is in the dream of the Dreamer - the I
awareness.

++++

Now step back to the waking world experience.

Several characters are being experienced and a world is also being
experienced.

There is one special character associated with a particular body mind which
claims that he is "I" the experiencer and everything else is experienced.
On their part, there are many other characters also who claim themselves to
be "I" the experiencers.

A little closer look at your experience reveals without any doubt that all
these characters - including the special character which you imagine to be
I" -are experienced entities. None of them is the experiencer.

There is simply one experiencing going on. There is nothing apart from this
experiencing.

praNAm