[Advaita-l] Shankara on non-Advaitic mokSha/Brahman

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Mar 7 23:13:07 CST 2013

All I am asking for is evidence from bhasyam to show that
Ishwara is to be given up.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

As far as I know, advaita vedAnta does not ask anyone to give-up Ishwara.
Ishwara or sOpAdhika or kArya brahma is meant for archana, dhyAna &
upAsana for the adhyAtmic sAdhaka-s.  But Ishwara (sOpAdhika)
nevertheless, a reality of vyAvarArika which is avidyAkruta as per
advaita's ultimate 'nirvishesha' brahma siddhAnta.  If you are looking for
the bhAshya reference for this, you can refer sUtra bhAshya in
ArambhaNAdhikaraNaM, where shankara clearly says brahman conditioned by
name and form set up by avidyA becomes Ishwara, just as universal ether
limited as it were by jars, pots etc. I think the originals have been
quoted earlier several times in this very list.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar