[Advaita-l] Upanayanam question

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 12 00:54:00 CDT 2013

> Is there any rule that one should not perform upanayanaM to jyeshTa putra
> (elder son) in jyeshTa mAsa ??  If yes, kindly let me know whether there
> is  any shanti / prayaschitta karma to be observed to get rid of the
> dOsha.

This year, there is no upanayana muhUrta for anyone in the JyeShTha mAsa,
since Guru (Jupiter) is asta, i.e. not visible. I am not aware of any rule
that prohibits the upanayana of the eldest son in the JyeShTha mAsa. This
rule could be followed by some regions or could depend on family customs,
etc. I did hear of another rule that prohibits the marriage of a bridegroom
who happens to be the eldest/elder son of his father with a bride who
happens to be the eldest/elder daughter of her father in the JyeShTha mAsa.

Anand