[Advaita-l] Re The stance of the upadeshasaahasrii on Ignorance, Deep Sleep

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 13:29:35 CDT 2013

subhanu saxena subhanu at hotmail.com wrote:

> Vidyasankar wrote: The only way to say, within our vyavahAra, that ekatva in
> mukti will not be an
>
> ajnAna hetu unlike in the sushupti
> state, is to acknowledge that in sushupti,there is a seed form of avidyA, a
> bIja, that persists, but not so in mukti.
>

> Thank you for making this very pertinent observation. The
> difference we are told is that it is because our false notions have not been
> removed that we falsely imagine this seed form in deep sleep. So to Karthik’s
> comment that there is SOMETHING  (I am
> sticking to his capitalisation) that remains in deep sleep, there is no quarrel
> if we say we falsely imagine this SOMETHING because we have not known atman,
> since this SOME THING is NO THING other than THAT THING which is Atman when our
> false notions are removed.
>

> With regards Karthik’s requirement that this therefore must
> be a non-unreal entity, I have shown in my original post

The upadeshasaahasrii 1.14.19:

AtmA hyAtmiiya ityeSha bhAvo.avidyAprakalpitaH .
Atmaikatve hyasau nAsti bIjAbhAve kutaH phalam.h ..

Swami Jagadananda's translation:

"For the ideas 'me' and 'mine' are superimposed on the Self due to
Ignorance. They do not exist when the Self is known to be one only.
How can there be an effect without a cause?"

The statement "bIjAbhAve kutaH phalam.h?" literally translated is:

 "HOW CAN THERE BE A FRUIT WITH AN UNREAL (abhAva) SEED (bIja)?"

So your claim that there is a "seed" or "bIja", but that is cannot be classified as not-unreal,
directly contradicts Sankara!