[Advaita-l] Re The stance of the upadeshasaahasrii on Ignorance, Deep Sleep

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 17:09:17 CDT 2013

Basic facts and conclusions:
1) Superimposition (adhyAsa) is mistaking one thing for another, or attributing an object's property to another.

2) In the waking and dream states, superimposition occurs (e.g. one says "I am walking", which is a superimposition of the property of the body on the Self that does not act). In the state of Deep Sleep, there is no "other" perceived, so the specific superimposition of mistaking one thing for another cannot happen. In this sense, Deep Sleep is different from the waking and dream states.

3) However, there is absolutely no doubt that SOMETHING remains in deep sleep, for at least two reasons:
(a) One comes out of Deep Sleep without remaining in that state.
(b) Sankara clearly points out that Deep Sleep is filled with tamas, but that cannot be the state of the Self, which is beyond the three guNas (certainly not tAmasic!).

If you are unable to accept the above, then we cannot discuss further at all.

So the final conclusion is (from #3 above): that SOMETHING remains in deep sleep, which must be a NOT-UNREAL entity. We call it "mUlAvidyA", but you may call it by any other name you wish.

If you say that what exists in Deep Sleep is a "seed" of whatever kind, do you accept that the "seed" is a NOT-UNREAL entity? If you do, then there are no problems, but if you don't, please explain the flaw in the reasoning above!