[Advaita-l] sadhana

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jul 12 05:48:36 CDT 2013

praNAms Sri Rajaram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

prabhuji, my below observation will end my contribution to this thread.

RV: From his first work to the last, Madhusudana has shown total
commitment
to advaita and bhakti.

>  I have not said anything against this.

His devotion to Sankara cannot be challenged so
easily though his reading appears different at places.

> again, I did not say Sri MS was not having devotion to bhagavatpAda.

 We all know that there is this avidya-lesha, which makes even a jnani act
in a prohibited
manner.

>  No, at any point of time jnAni would not engage himself in a prohibited
act as he sees even vihita karma is avidyAkruta..Shankara is quite
explicit in this assertion.  If Sri MS says jnAni act in a prohibited
manner then it is not in line with what bhagavatpAda's teaching.

Madhusudana says in his introduction to Gudarthadipika, "Through
the power of tattva jnana, anArabda or sancita karma get destroyed and
agAmini karma does not bear fruit. But prarabda karma phala creates
disturbances and the hence the vvasana does not get destroyed.

>  if the vAsana-s are not destroyed in the jeevAn mukta then he is not
fit to be called 'JEEVAN MUKTA', mukti from what then??  If the jnAni
(mukta!!??) still engages himself in prohibited act between the periods of
jeevana muktAvastha & vAsanAkshaya / manOnAsha stage then he is noway
better than loukika-s like us.

That is eliminated through samyama, the strongest of all disciplines. The
five
disciplines yama etc. practised before the rise of tattva jnana become
condusive to that samyana which is a triad consisiting of dhArana, dhyAna
and samadhi.

> what does the samAdhi word mean here according to Sri MS, kindly let me
know.

However, samAdhi is quickly accomplished through special
devotion to God. From that comes mano nasa (elimination of mental
modifications) and vasana kshaya (dissipation of past impressions. When
tattva jnana is combined with the practice of manonasa and vasanakshaya,
jivanmukti will be firm."  He details these in his work.

>  From this should I understand that order of mukhya mukti according to
Sri MS will be :  yama niyamAdi panchAnga yOga sAdhana >  tattva jnAna /
jeeVan mukti (tainted with vAsana-s & manOvikAra  > saMyama through
dhAraNa, dhyAna and samAdhi > manOnAsha / vAsanAkshaya and then finally
....!!??  what not clear.

Anyway,  as I said above, this is my last mail on this thread, I will take
 your reply to this as the final word of Sri MS.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar