[Advaita-l] aruNa prashna & upanishad chanting in evening

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 08:44:21 CST 2013

Not to nitpick, but I wanted to address a couple of points below.

> In my opinion the rules for chanting by time reference is made by some
> Sampradaya Mimamsakas. These are' vaidika vyavaharas'. According to Adhyasa

The mImAMsaka-s did not typically make any such rules. They only interpreted the
rules handed down by tradition. We really need to understand the vaidika and vedAnta
traditions as religious, social and historical structures that have dimensions to them
other than the merely philosophical.

> bhashya of Shankara, these notions are 'Adhyasa' only.
>
> It is enough if we understand the meanings and tattvas(principles)
> underlying in these mantras, No time restriction should be followed.

This overstates the case. Yes, for a jnAni, there are no restrictions, but all the rules
and restrictions are meant for those who aspire to jnAna. They impart a discipline and
an element of rigour to one's thinking. Secondly, yes, vaidika vyavAhAra is dependent on
adhyAsa, but the point is, ALL vyavahAra is based on adhyAsa. Those of us who live our
regular lives according to our personal likes and dislikes as well as the dictates of the
society around us really have no business rejecting only the vaidika vyavahAra and its
rules, if we are not prepared to likewise reject laukika vyavahAra as well.

In the context of vaidika karmA, the rules are necessarily in place. Chanting portions of
the veda in the context of karmA needs to adhere to the rules as handed down. That
said, we should also recognize that there can be a lot of variation in the rules, but that
need not bother us. What customs are followed in Kashi can be quite different from the
customs followed in Kurnool, but that is par for the course.

Vidyasankar