[Advaita-l] Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?

S Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:12:45 CST 2013

Coming to Aesop's fables:

> If Aesop's fables were the foundational text of some religion, and if at
> least some of
> those religionists said that their text had no author, while others
> admitted an author,
> then such an argument may arise about apaurusheyatva in that case also.
>
> In the absence of any such issue, the authorship of Aesop's fables is
> moot. What this
> shows is that apaurusheyatva is not just a fancy Sanskrit term for
> "anonymous"
> authorship.

Not to nitpick on the issue but only to elaborate on the weakness of this
argument, let me declare start of a new religion from today that holds
Aesop's fables as apuaurusheya. Here is at least one member of this new
religion who holds this belief. Does it mean that now it is simply a matter
of difference of opinion between you and me? Or is it if only a substantial
number of people share my belief that I can claim respectability for my
doctrine? And what is that number?

Trying to defend apaurusheyatva simply on absence of contrary evidence will
lead us only to such dead ends.

praNAm