[Advaita-l] Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:00:41 CST 2013

As you may have noticed, my position on apauresheyatva has changed. I
started with developing a logical defense of apauresheyatva but moved to
evaluating the claim objectively to arrive at the the truth of the matter.
I am aware of the differences between schools on apauresheyatva and have
called it out on my blog. But I am of the opinion that the belief in
apauresheyatva is at least @ 3000 years old as Ajivikas oppose it. All
other documented attacks by sankhya, nyaya and vaiseshika schools are later
to it. I am inclined to believe that the genesis of this belief is in the
vedas (samhitas) themselves as highlighted by Jaldhar on my blog. Kalavai
countered it by saying that Rig Veda Tenth Mandala is a late text. I
countered it saying that a mantra has to be discovered in some chronlogical
order only. Kalavai says that the tenth mandala of rig veda that Jaldhar
quoted is very late. Someone, I think KK, countered it saying that it
was "added" to the shruti after philosophical enquiry lead to the concepts
such as karma and cyclical time. He offered evidence from purusha suktam
that vedas were created.

I understand that any position on origin of any thing including that of the
vedas is only relative in advaita and the truth of the statements in
the vedas is not dependent on it being apauresheya. It will be valid even
if it is from Ishwara or any trustworthy person. For that matter any
statement, vaidhika or laukika, must be considered true until it is
disproved. Also apauresheya does not make all its statements
incontrovetibly true as anuvada implies that Vedas themselves may reflect
the delusion of the purushas.

But the question is whether Vedas can be considered a pramana if it is not
apauresheya. Though some of the astika darshanas think so, I am afraid
not. Let me explain why. I see a pot and tell you "There is a pot". For
you, my statement, verbal testimony, is the pramana for the pot. But your
pramana is itself dependent on my pratyaksha and there is no need to
consider it as distinct. But if I dont describe what I see but actually
relay the statement I discover, then the statement "There is a pot" becomes
an indpendent pramana. Hence my opinion that Vedas cannot be considered a
pramana unless they are apauresheya.