[Advaita-l] The number of Vedas - three or four

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 13:33:08 CST 2013

The confusion occurred whenpeople forgot that prior to division of the Vedas into four all the four Vedas and the fifth Veda together made only one Veda and that was called only Yajurveda. This is given in the Vayu purana, though I do not have the ready reference at this time.  In the pre-division times (such as in the Ramayana times)  the three vedas were referred to only to mean the portion with the respective Rig mantras, the Sama mantras and the Yajus mantras.

While dividing the Vedas by Vedavysa together with his four disciples they separated the Atharva Veda. Further the Atharva Veda differs from the other three vedas in the sense that it is not related to any yajna rituals.

Regards,
Sunil KB