[Advaita-l] Traditional Dresses

Abhinand Abhinand abhinand06 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 11:22:27 CST 2013

Namaste,
I am a new entrant to this energetic group. It has been a great joy reading the posts in this list over years.
Indeed there is enough to learn about our dharma in this platform too.
Thanks for all the discussions & debates.

I shall start with my first post.

As we all know that most brahmins (post marriage) have their specific dress codes as prescribed by scriptures viz Kacche Panche & Kacche Sarees.

I have a small doubt regarding this:

Tamil Iyer ladies wear the classical Madisaar (9 yards)
Telugu Smartha ladies too wear 9 yards
Kannada Madhva ladies also wear 9 yards
How come the tradition of 9 yards is lost among Kannada Smartha Brahmins, viz Badaganadu, Hoysala Karnataka etc.

I would request all the learned members to reply & throw some light, I would also appreciate if there are any orthodox smartha (kannada) families following the tradition of 9 yards today.

Thanks