[Advaita-l] सच्चेन्न बाध्येत, असच्चेन्न प्रतीयेत

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:54:24 CST 2013

I agree with your observations.  Most ideally the passages from the
bhAShyam should have been simply posted with no translation and just the
explanatory part of matching them with the dictum I chose to should have
been given.  I know how difficult it is for those who translate and give
them as books for the aspirants to study.  Again and again the hard truth
that there is no substitute to the approaching the
bhashyam/sub-commentaries in their original in order to gain the most comes
to the fore.

Take for instance the sentence in my post: // If such effects as name and
form had originated from a non-entity, *they should not have been perceived
*since they are insubstantial* (nirAtmakam)* //

Here the translation of Swami Gambhirananda is:  // If such effects as name
and form had originated from a non-entity, they should not have been
perceived since they have no reality. //

I felt that the expression 'since they have no reality' is quite an
insufficient translation for 'nirAtmakatvAt' and hence I replaced it with
the portion highlighted above with the word 'insubstantial'.  One can see
that even a superimposed snake has no reality.  But that sense is not being
conveyed by the bhashyam by the word 'nirAtmakatvAt'.

Thanks for your very pertinent observations.

regards
subrahmanian.v