[Advaita-l] Doubts on karma, future births, etc.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 01:21:01 CST 2013

Jnana eliminating karma only means that the Jnani realizes that he was
never a kartA-bhoktA at any point of time: past, present and future.  Thus,
the elimination or exhausting of karma is not any process in time.  It is
just a knowledge that one is Brahman the akartA-abhoktA.

BSB 4.1.9.13 we have this emphatic statement by Shankara on the annulling
of kartRtva-bhoktRtva for a Jnani:

//पूर्वसिद्धकर्तृत्वभोक्तृत्वविपरीतं हि त्रिष्वपि
कालेषुअकर्तृत्व-अभोक्तृत्वस्वरूपं ब्रह्म अहमस्मि । न इतः पूर्वं कर्ता
भोक्ता वा
अहमासम्, न इदनीं, नापि भविष्यत्काले इति ब्रह्मवित् अवगच्छति ।

*Contrary to the earlier belief that I have doership & enjoyership, in all
the three periods of time I am the Supreme Brahman that is devoid of
doership & enjoyership. I was not a kartA (a person acting) or a bhoktA (a
person enjoying/experiencing) before, I am not that even now and I will not
be that in the future as well. The knower of Brahman understands thus.//
[Shankara's brahmasutra bhashya: 4.1.9.13]*

*regards*

*subbu*