[Advaita-l] Omniscience, etc. only due to upAdhi

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Sat Dec 28 05:14:35 CST 2013

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

'Omniscience' is the word generally used to connote the sanskrit term
'sarvajnatvam'.  'Knowledge' of 'everything' implies that the possessor of
such a knowledge is different from the 'everything' and the 'knowledge'.
Thus, just as a person who 'knows' something is different from that thing,
and without that thing in place no knowledge of it is possible for the
person, the Vedantic Brahman too cannot be inherently possessed with the
knowledge of 'everything' unless that 'everything' is existing.

>  as I said in another form, yes, I do agree that sarvajna, sarvashakta
etc. which denote Ishawara's are valid only in the sphere of avidyA
kshEtra where sarva is different from the 'knower'.  But, when it comes to
inherent nature of brahman,  even in the absence of 'everything' (sarva)
the knower's knowledge (jnAna) does not suffer from any obstruction since
sarvajnatvaM, sarvashaktitvaM etc. are svarUpa lakshNa of the brahman
whereas  savajna and sarvashakta are the qualities of the mAyA upahita
Ishwara ( who has shuddha sattva as his upAdhi).  The adjectives such as
sarvajnatvaM, sarvashaktitvaM etc. can be given to brahman synonymously
such as nityashuddha, nirvikAra since there are inherent nature of
brahman.  In sUtra bhAshya while arguing against sAnkhyA's pradhAna
kAraNa, shankara says how the first and foremost (without second) would be
the chetana cause of this creation which has 'intelligence'.  And to have
this intelligence it does not require any body, mind, etc. shankara here
quotes the up. maNtra that says : that which sees without eyes, that which
hears without ears, that which moves without legs etc.  So, IMHO,
existence of 'everything' is not a mandatory requirement to prove
brahman's sarvajnatvaM and sarvashaktitvaM.  Do we doubt the self-luminous
nature of sun and its illuminating capacity just because of absence of
objects that needs illumination??   Kindly clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar