[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 03:32:20 CST 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Nithin Sridhar <sridhar.nithin at gmail.com>wrote:

> I understand the practical need for sastras and teacher but question
> > the logical possibility of these. prArabdha karmA, avidyA-leSa, the
> > remnant vAsana or saMskAra or IshwarAnugraha are all only possible in the
> > realm of avidyA. I ask how they can exist in the absence of avidyA.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This conclusion is not proper I feel.
>
> Just as after a tree has been uprooted, it takes sometime to wither away,
> similarly some Jnani's exist as JivanMukta's due to Avidya-Lesha. Avidya
> Lesha is not same as Avidya. Just as even after the mis-aprehension of a
> snake is removed, the shivering caused due to fear lingers on for few
> seconds, a Jnani may exist as Jivanmukta till his prarabda karma lingers.
>
> What is important to be noted is, All these explanations are from
> Worldly/Vyavaharika point of view. From the standpoint of Jnani, there is
> neither creation, nor dissolution, neither liberation nor bondage. They
> perceive Brahman alone.

That is a fine reply.  The ultimate Vedanta siddhanta is: no creation.  Yet
since one has already assumed a creation, Vedanta gives replies based on
this assumption.  Within that assumption of a 'real' creation the
explanations such as bondage, its removal, mukta, mukti, etc are spoken
of.

regards
subrahmanian.v