[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 00:33:18 CST 2013

H S CHANDRAMOULI

Dear all,

Let me add my 2 cents views on the subject of Mithya which i understand fro
VMjis mail has been discussed elaborately earlier.

Mithya has no doubt many definitions like nonindependant, nonpermanent etc.
But i think for understanding its implications it is useful to understand
it as a mixture of real ( that is   vastu ) and unreal ( that is  a-vastu )
. When we see a pot we say the "pot is".When we see a cloth we say " cloth
is ". Similarly " creation is ". As we are used to a particular way of
looking at and understanding our experiences, the normal meaning we give to
these statements is that pot,cloth, creation are the vastus and 'is"
denotes their existence. But according to advaitha doctrine, "is" is the
vastu and pot/cloth/creation are only visheshanas. Meaning thereby that
these are not vastus but only "adjectives" ( or makeup/appearence ) for the
vastu "is". The vastu "is" is Brahman/atma. The difference between a jnani
and ajnani is thus the following. Both nodoubt experience the creation. For
a jnani creation is not the vastu while it is so for ajnanis. Also when we
say creation usual understanding is everything external to us. But here we
should understand it as everything other than "is" and that includes the
jiva  also. I have found this to be very useful in understanding vedanta.

Regards