[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 00:34:05 CST 2013

I feel the example of rope-snake that is widely used in Advaitic discourse
is not applicable the way you have put it. What I mean is, when Advaita
uses Rope-Snake example, it is only to explain the manifestation of the
world as an appearance just as snake is only an appearance and not a real
transformation. And for the time, it is apprehended as snake, it causes
fear. Similarly, for the time, Brahman is apprehended as Universe with
names and forms, there is bondage. Once, the false apprehension is removed,
reality alone remains. Hence, the validity of example should be limited to
just that.

But, other than that, I agree that world as objective reality/vyavaharika
satya is to be understood and should be dealt as such. It is for this
reason, we see that science has never be opposed to religion in India.

But, no drugs can grant jivanmukti. Many ayurvedic preparations, drugs,
alcohol can be used to achieve concentration in meditation which are also
used by Aghoris. But, they have their usage only in initial stages and
there is a danger of drugs controlling you, instead of you controlling them.

- Nithin