[Advaita-l] Desire, Jnana and Moksha

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com
Sat Dec 7 16:06:37 CST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Nithin Sridhar <sridhar.nithin at gmail.com>wrote:

> I agree with Venkatesh Murthy. Even Sureshwaracharya in his Naishkarmya
> Siddhi clearly says a Jivanmukta is devoid of desires, anger etc

​I think you are referring to these shloka-s:

buddhAdvaitasatattvasya ​yatheShTAcharaNaM yadi.
shunAM tattvadR^ishAM chaiva ko bhedo.ashuchibhaxaNe..
and
rAgo li~Ngamabodhasya chittavyAyAmabhUmiShu.
kutaH shADvalatA tasya yasyAgniH koTare taroH..

Note that you are also supporting absence of deisre, etc. in jIvanmukta and
not GYAnI.

Again,
Although, the present prakaraNa was presented by AchArya to show that GYAnI
doesn't do things according to rAga, dveSha.
But, that is not the only thing to be considered.
See what shrI-vasiShTha says:

*rAgadveShabhayAdInAmanurUpaM charannapi. yo.antarvyomavadatyachchhaH sa
jIvanmukta uchchyate..*

One who behaves according to rAga-dveSha-bhaya, etc., but remains untainted
by them, is called jIvanmukta.
We have to accept that, as a person totally devoid of all desires,
etc.(such a person is possible or not - is another thing) is accepted as
jIVanmukta; the person who is acting according to rAga, etc. but remains
untainted by the practice of GYAna, etc. should also be termed jIvanmukta.
That's why shrI-vidyAraNya explains:
*rAgAnurUpaM bhojanAdipravR^ittiH | dveShAnurUpaM bauddhakApAlikAdibhyo
vimukhatvam | bhayAnurUpaM sarpavyAghrAdibhyo.apasarpaNam | Adishabdena
mAtsaryAnurUpam itarayogibhya Adhikyena samAdhyanuShThAnam | satyapi
vyutthAnadashAyAm IdR^ishe AcaraNe pUrvvAbhyAsena prApite vishrAntacittasya
kAluShyarahitatvAt atyacchatvam | yathA vyomni dhUmadhUlimeghAdiyukte.api
nirlepasvabhAvatvAt atishayena svacchatvaM tadvat | *

​Translation by Goodding:

*One who, though behaving in conformity with craving, hatred, fear, andso
on, internally he is clear like the sky—he is liberated-in-life. [LYV
3.1.93]18. "In conformity with craving" is the activity of eating and so
on. "In conformity with hatred" is the aversion to Buddhists, Kap‡likas,
and so on. "Inconformity with fear" is running away from such things as
snakes and tigers. Thewords "and so on" refer to jealousy and the like. In
conformity with jealousy is carrying out en-stasis in a manner more than
other yogins. Even though at the time ofcoming out (from en-stasis)
(vyutthana) such behavior takes place because of previoushabit, one whose
mind is still is inwardly clear because he is free from impurity. His case
is just like that of the sky, which, though it is contaminated with smoke,
dust,clouds, and the like, it is nevertheless extremely clear because it is
by its very natureuntainted.*

*​*

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः *www.lalitaalaalitah.com