[Advaita-l] Desire, Jnana and Moksha

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 23:10:39 CST 2013

Namaste
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:32 AM, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <
lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com> wrote:

> *श्रीमल्ललितालालितः *www.lalitaalaalitah.com
>

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Once ajnana is gone, how can desire remain in a jnAni?
>

> Because, *GYAna *is not opposed to desire.

But Jnana is opposed to Ajnana and Tatkaarya also. Ajnana is the Mula
Avidya. The Jagat, Manas, and desires also are Kaarya of Mula Ajnana. WHEN
the Mula Avidya is removed by Jnana there is no Kaarya also. If you know
Sukti Rajata is false will you have desire to get silver and become rich
and build houses? When you know rope is not snake will you have fear in
approaching it? When you Know the mirage water is false will you have
desire to drink it? Thirst may be there but it is natural body function.
Not desire. Desire is because of Ajnana.

> *GYAna *is opposed to *aGYAna *only and nothing else, is hold by
> *sAmpradAyika*-s.
> *GYAnamaGYAnasyaiva nivartakam* - says *vivaraNakAra*.
> And *shrI sureshvarAchArya* says that - *avidyAnAshamAtraM tu
> falamityupacharyate.*
> So, we should not expect anything else from it.
> It is evident in our daily life that knowledge of pot destroys ignorance of
> the same. What you do with known pot is another thing.
>
> To make things clear,
> *GYAna *is opposed to anything real (or reality of anything other than
> *brahman*). So, if desire is also understood as unreal, where is the
> problem ?
>
> Moreover, *GYAna *means to know about oneness with *brahman*. Why should it
> remove qualities of mind, etc.? Desire is one of them.
>
> So, a *GYAnI *knows that '*guNA guNeShu vartante*'. Let mind, which is
> unreal and *not*-*Atman*, dwell in anything; it doesn't affect *Atman,
> *because
> oneness with mind is removed by* tvam-padArtha-shodhana*(which happens much
> before *brahma-GYAna*).
> As says *shrI sureshvarAchArya*:
>>>
> *dhIvikriyAsahasrANAM hAnopAdAnadharmiNAm. sadA
> sAxiNamAtmAnam..............................................*
> *Atman* is witness of modifications of mind.
> *He *again says:
>
> *chhitvA tyaktena hastena svayaM nAtmA visheShyate.*
> The hand which is shunned after cutting, is no more identified with
> *Atman. *​
>
> > Once I know that its a rope, there is no fear of snake.
>

> ​What about trembling which continues after knowledge of rope ? Same is the
> case of body and activities of *GYAnI*.
> So says *shrI sureshvarAchArya *-
>
> *nivR^ittasarpaH sarpotthaM yathA kampaM na mu~nchati. *
>

> *vidhvastAkhilamoho.api mohakAryaM tathAtmavit..*
>>

> > Once I know its mirage, there is no desire to quench thirst.
> >
> ​Even if you are thirsty !!??​
> Knowledge doesn't removes your thirst for water.
>
> Actually, the problem which haunts *vaiShNava-s, karma-mImAMsaka-s,* etc.
> is that if we accept a person with desire *GYAnI*, we may have to accept
> that he may do anything, even which is against
> *shiShTAchAra. *
> Their fear is although not true. We don't support that *GYAnI *must go
> against laws of *shiShTa-s. *Although, such can happen.

Regards

-Venkatesh