[Advaita-l] Need information on learning Vedas online

Dr D Bharadwaj dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 03:25:43 CDT 2013

I have a great respect for the holy work of great goodwill by the Sanskrita
Bharati. I am one of the contributors for the work. It is needed,
indeed,...but only to keep the value for keeping at least an image of
Sanskrit alive among the common folks.

But, the unfortunate collateral damage is that they are causing a
considerable unintended harm to the original structural grandeur of the
Magnificent Edifice of Sanskrit. Indifferent to the fall-out, they are
inventing many 'expressions' in Snaskrit twisting them, to make them
suitable and comparable to the corresponding the loose versions of the
Western Languages, into forms unthinkable - sometimes weird - in the
original impeccably structured Language where the very turn of the phrase,
the very form of expression is as expressive as (sometimes more expressive
than) the vocabulary chosen for the expression.

I know many - yes, many - who are drank deep and 'soaked' themselves in the
kind of dispensation happening at the Bharathi, having the ability to talk
 glibly, unbroken in Sanskrit. But none of them can understand a word of
the Sastras. Some can could understand a only smattering of the Puranas.
They look upon the Original Sanskrit (they have already succeeded in making
people coin this expression - the Original Sanskrit) as something crude,
and *unreformed!! *I know some who look upon those using the pristine
expressions almost with contempt. They consider themselves as 'reformers'
of Sanskrit.They are modernizing the language, tinkering it to suit itself
to the Times, diluting it, divesting it of all the prauDhatvaM (they
christened their's as saraLa samskritam) to earn a proud place among the
its own distorted dialects, some of which do not even qualify for the
definition of a Language according to Maharshi Panini.

But it is our utter daurbhAgya that w.r.t the great bhAShA which all but
dead in the very land where she saw her highest glory, we are obliged to
appreciate even this small endeavor of great good-will, like the Sanskrita
Bhatati's, in spite of a heavy unintended collateral damage involved.

ISvarArpaNamastu

*శ్రీరమణార్పణమస్తు*

Dr. D. Bharadwaj
http://drdbharadwaj.blogspot.in