[Advaita-l] shAnkara bhAShya pArAyaNa sattram - Aug 3 - 7, 2013

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 04:38:25 CDT 2013

Namaste

After a very involved and immaculately conducted program on 'shAnkara
bhAShya pArAyaNam' for five days, I returned on Wednesday night.  At the
time of leaving, HH Swami Shankara BhArati ji, of his own accord told me:
'the help provided by your friend for this event was immensely useful.'  I
responded saying that when Swamiji is in Bangalore at a future occasion I
would request the donor to come and have his darshanam and take his
blessings.

I am enclosing a few photos which were taken during this event.  There were
about 55 persons who participated in the pArAyaNam.  There were three from
Maharashtra and the rest from Karnataka and Tamilnadu, On the first day at
9 AM in the presence of the Swamiji a mahAsankalpaH was conducted by the
entire group which meant, in essence:  The sweet and profound bhAShya of
Sri Shankara BhagavatpAda is taken up for pArAyaNam by all of us.  Let His
grace be on all of us and render us fit persons to engage in
scripture-ordained duties with shraddhA and bhakti and tread the path of
mokSha with all sincerity.

After this the formal shAnti pATha was chanted and each participant engaged
himself in the allotted bhAShya portion.  The prasthAnatraya bhAShyam
consisting of the ten Upanishads, the Brahmasutras and the BhagavadgitA was
distributed to the participants as per their allotted portions.  At 11 AM
there would be a break for receiving the teertham from the Swamiji and a
little milk.  After re-assembling at 11.30 the pArayaNam would go up to 1
pm, breaking for lunch.

We would reassemble at 3.30 pm for a chintana goShThi (fully in Sanskrit)
of the pre-announced topics from the bhaShyam.  One senior scholar would
conduct the 'class' and anyone could participate with
questions/clarifications.  Eminent Vidwans Sri Swaminathan Sharma,
R.Krishnamurthy SastrigaL and Sri.Mani Dravid SastrigaL were there to
conduct these special sessions.  This would go up to 6 pm.  After snacks
and beverage and later sandhya vandanam we would assemble at the shrine of
Sri Shankaracharya, a little away, within the campus.  There would be a
four-veda seva, shAstra-seva where any participants would take up a topic
of his choice from each of the prasthAnams and make a short presentation
for about ten minutes, in Sanskrit.  Thus there were twelve speakers over
the four evenings.  After this would be a purANa seva where verses from the
purANa would be rendered by one or the other participant, in musical
style.  After this there would be a sangeeta seva, a rendering of
devotional compositions.  After mahAmangalArati we would disperse to
participate in the chandramaulIshwara and srichakra pUja performed by the
Swamiji with vedic chanting.  The day's program would end with the
dinner.   During lunch / dinner too there would be short shloka rendering
by participants invoking the grace of one or the other deity/guru.

On the last day the participants were given sambhAvanA for their
participation.

JapadakaTTe is a lovely place with the Cauvery skirting the kShetra where
the main deity is Japyeshwara, a Shiva lingam.  The several centuries old
temple is beautifully renovated and several shrines added.  The Yedathore
MaTha is owing this and has facility for aspirants who wish to spend time
there engaging in spiritual practices.

Participants left with the surcharged emotions looking forward to the next
year's event.

regards
subrahmanian.v
*8 attachments* — Download all