[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 21:15:59 CDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM, R Krishnamoorthy <srirudra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear
> I took time to read the replies and your counters to them.I find logically
> speaking any system of philosophy can not convince the aspirant of what is
> Kailasa or what is Vaikuntha.There are descriptions of these primordial
> places and even we have stories of great ones reaching them and abiding in
> them as Nithya suries or as Shiva ganas.We can have our own versions as
> these are beyond our small intellect.If you want to negate them it is up to
> you.Sri Adi Sankara has composed many sthothras of praise on Sri Shiva,Shri
> Vishnu,Shri Ambal ,Shri Ganesa,,Shri Subramanya,Shri Nrusima just to
> mention the prominent shothras.The phalasruthis and descriptions do contain
> references of Kailasa and Vaikuntha.He is the greatest proponent of
> Advaitha.What does this show?There is Kailasam and there is Vaikuntham.One
> has to discover it through oneself.No one can show it to you.Strive ,Seek
> and find it.

Accepting the existence of such loka-s might happen due to emotional
attachments.  But when put to the test of reason we cannot simply accept
the existence of 'both' these loka-s, for both of them will limit each
other and neither will be infinite; both will be finite.  A finite entity
cannot be eternal.

Apart from this, if the loka consists of duality, then also the 'pathi' of
the loka will be finite alone; the other residents of that loka will limit
him.  For, the pathi is different and distinct from the others there
leading to vastu pariccheda.  A table and a chair, being different from
each other, limit each other.  Such a pathi cannot be infinite.  There will
be desha pariccheda too for the pathi since he cannot be occupying all the
places the residents occupy simultaneously.  If it is said: the residents
and other bhogya padarthas there are 'in' the infinite pathi alone, the
question arises: in what way?  Is it like various objects remaining on a
table or in a basket?  If such is the case, samyoga, then it is possible
only with respect to objects made of parts, sAvayava dravya.  The bottom of
a book will rest on the top of the table.  And such a vastu is bound to
perish when the parts disintegrate.  To avoid this the only way is to admit
that the 'others' exist 'in' the pathi in an AdhyAsika sambandha, like
snake superimposed on the rope.  Finally it will amount to an unreal
existence of the others in the pathi, whether we admit of a form to him or
not. The very purpose of proposing a loka will be defeated.