[Advaita-l] Eka jiva vada and nana jiva vada.

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 23:37:47 CDT 2013

Namaste

In GK VP 8 Adi Sankara has discussed चतुर्दन्तं गजमारूढं अष्टभुजमात्मानं.
The Purva Pakshi is saying we can see four tusk elephants and eight arms
person in dreams. The answer is this Apurva is Sthani Dharma. The dream
objects like four tusk elephants are also false. But in the same teaching
Gaudapada has said dream objects and waking objects are unreal only. There
is no difference.

If a person imagines a rabbit with horns or seeing a four tusk elephant in
a dream or he is seeing a table and chair in waking all these objects are
equally unreal. All seen and imagined objects in dream and waking are
unreal. Why some Advaitis are seeing difference between them?They are
saying waking object seen is Mithya. It is not Sat not Asat not both Sat
and Asat but Rabbit horns is not same. But they are contradicting with
Gaudapada.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Namaste
> >
> >   In waking if I imagine a hare horns in my
> > mind I can say it is not real.
> >

> In every imagination, especially of objects, there is a picture/form of
> that object that also comes up in the mind.  What form does the imagination
> of 'hare's horn' have in the mind?  One can imagine/recollect only what is
> already seen/experienced before.  We have seen cow/buffalo/ram/rhino/deer
> horns and not hare's horn.  We can distinguish between those horns even if
> they lie separated from those animals.  But what form does the memory carry
> for a hare's horn?
>
> So, in the waking you can at best hear/read or recall to the mind the
> idea/concept of 'hare's horn', I mean just the words and no object.  And
> along with that  is there the thinking about the impossibility of it too.
> One can surely have such a thinking in the dream too since we have
> read/discussed/thought of the concept of hare's horn in the waking.
>
> On an aside, I would like to know who are shringi  and bhringi in relation
> to Shivaloka?  Is there any description of this horned entity in the
> puranas or other literature?
>
> subrahmanian.v

Regards

-Venkatesh