[Advaita-l] Supreme Brahman - the Ruler in Advaita?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 02:31:51 CDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:58 AM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Srinath,
>
> This verse is not about 'I am God' thought.  It is rather the egoistic
> thinking 'I am a / the lord' (someone who is the owner of much wealth).

* *I just wanted to point out a non-God usage of the word Ishwara in the
Bhagavadgita itself:

dAnamIshvarabhAvashcha kShAtram karma svabhAvajam  18.43b

Here, the natural traits of a kShatriya is being taught.  One of these is:
IshvarabhAvaH which is commented upon by Shankara thus:

ईश्वरभावश्च ईश्वरस्य भावः, प्रभुशक्तिप्रकटीकरणम् ईशितव्यान् प्रति,...

//isvarabhavah, lordliness, manifesting (exercising) rulership over those
who have to be ruled. //

subrahmanian.v