[Advaita-l] Eka jiva vada and nana jiva vada.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 15:56:16 CDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Namaste
>
>   In waking if I imagine a hare horns in my
> mind I can say it is not real.

In every imagination, especially of objects, there is a picture/form of
that object that also comes up in the mind.  What form does the imagination
of 'hare's horn' have in the mind?  One can imagine/recollect only what is
already seen/experienced before.  We have seen cow/buffalo/ram/rhino/deer
horns and not hare's horn.  We can distinguish between those horns even if
they lie separated from those animals.  But what form does the memory carry
for a hare's horn?

So, in the waking you can at best hear/read or recall to the mind the
idea/concept of 'hare's horn', I mean just the words and no object.  And
along with that  is there the thinking about the impossibility of it too.
One can surely have such a thinking in the dream too since we have
read/discussed/thought of the concept of hare's horn in the waking.

On an aside, I would like to know who are shringi  and bhringi in relation
to Shivaloka?  Is there any description of this horned entity in the
puranas or other literature?

subrahmanian.v