[Advaita-l] Paranormal Experiences

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 01:50:53 CDT 2013

We come across quite a few incidences of paranormal experiences narrated by
devotees with respect to their preceptors. We read quite a few stated about
some than the others. For example, there is a lot of stories said about
kanchi mahaperiyava, sringeri periyava, ramana maharishi etc. Sometimes
people can wrongly associate two unrelated events - a blessing followed by
a cure of a disease or acquisition of wealth. Sometimes, the events
narrated involve knowledge and power that is beyond normal. Either the
person reporting should be explicitly lying, inventing it due to a trick of
the mind (lot of studies available on these) or telling the truth. I would
like to know the opinion of scholars on these validity of these
supernatural stories. And why these occur, if they?ans why they don't
occur, when it could be beneficial to a lot of people?