[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:21:14 CDT 2012

On 9/19/12, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Bhaskar,
>
> At the risk of continuing a discussion that is mostly moot at this point,
> here is a
> belated response.
>

>> Is there any necessary obstacle to jnAna in the case of such a person,
>> which will require
>> janmAntara for jnAna to rise?
>>
>> > I think that is the reason why arjuna asks about 'yOga brashta-s' and
>> subsequent clarification by lord. OTOH, for the jnAni-s there is no other
>>
>> obstacle other than avidyA and once this ajnAna goes there is nothing that
>>
>> can stop jnAni to realize & establish in his Atma svarUpa.
>> phalatvaprasiddhirapi mOkshasya baNdhanivruttimAtrApekshAH clarifies
>> shankara in sUtra bhAshya.
>
> I am afraid you missed the point of my question. The gItA verse you quote
> is about those who do NOT reach saMsiddhi in the yogamArga.

I am having very little access to internet, being away from home.  I
wish to point out that the gita shloka talking about 'yoga bhrashTa'
is concerning the legitimate jnAnasAdhana that has the nididhyasana
ingredient involving dhyana.  This has been clarified by Sri SSS also
by establishing that the AdhyAtma Yoga of Vedanta has dhyAna and
samAdhi culminating in aparoksha jnana resulting in moksha.
Accordingly, the dyana of the 6th chapter of the Gita is not an
alternative to any other method but the only sadhana of Vedanta.  The
other references are fthe Kathopanishad 'yacched vAngmanasI
praajnaH....' etc.

regards
subrahmanian.v