[Advaita-l] 'Chants in Cyberspace' स्वदेशो भुवनत्रयम्

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:18:36 CDT 2012

> But what Sri Subbu prabhuji saying is purOhita is not required if the
> kartru himself knows the maNtra-s & procedure of the karma-s.  But I doubt
> this stand as I have seen in Mattur, even ghanapAti katru-s for
> shubhAshubha karma-s at their house asking their kula purOhita or AchArya
> to come and do it.  And they do saMkalpa also like that only.  I think
> shOdasha saMskAra & related karma-s should be done through one's own kula
> purOhita though he himself knows it very well.  I vaguely remember that
> somewhere in Apasthamba gruhya sUtra there is a mention about importance
> and role of AchArya in these karma-s.  But nothing coming to my mind right
> now.

Some years back I participated in an upAkarma ritual in Br.Sri Ganesha
GhanapAThigaL's house. He is well known to the Kanchi and Sringeri Acharyas
personally.   He had finished his early morning paurohityam for two or
three batches of upAkarma in other localities.  Some two or three of us
joined him at his house where he conducted a fine, leisurely upaakarma with
homam for himself and the rest of us.

I do not know about any gruhya sutra prohibition for such conduct.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v