[Advaita-l] 'dhyAna, dhAraNa, etc.'

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 18:38:02 CDT 2012

> From: V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
>

>Here Shankara is differentiating the knowledge arising from mere shravaNa
>from Knowledge that results from the exercise of 'mananam and
>nididhyAsanam'.  I think the difference is a comprehensive one: first only
>paroksha jnanam from shravanam and only later the aparoksha jnanam arises
>from manana-nididhyAsanam.

-------
Subbuji - PraNAms

You are coupling manana-nidhidhyaasana into one while separating shravana. I have a feeling the Sureswara in Naiskarmya siddhi - couples shravana-manana as requirement for all adhikaaries while Nidhidhyaasana as separate intended particularly for manda adhikaaries. Logically too shravana and manana should be involved for clear understanding -whether it is paroksha or aparoksha jnaana and it will be one or the other depending on the chitta suddhi of the seeker, as Sureswara implies.

Hari Om!
Sadananda