[Advaita-l] Guru for Devi Puja

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Oct 17 12:23:29 CDT 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Paresh Patel wrote:

> Namaste Guruji,
> My name is Paresh Patel, My kuldevi is Umiya Mataji. I want to worship
> Umiyaji everyday. For the Devi Puja I don't have enough knowledge so Can You
> please guide me for my daily worship. I don't have Guru. Can you be my Guru
> and show me the Path of Devi Bhakti.
>
> it is best to get a Guru who is knowledgeable to give you proper advice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paresh Patel

Dear Pareshbhai, Jai Shri Krishna,

As this is Navaratri you have picked the best time to ask this question.
You are absolutely right about the necessity of a Guru.  All varieties of
Hinduism revere their teachers but in Devi Upasana diksha from a
sampradayika sadguru is a must.  You did not say where you are located.
  If it is outside India it may be more difficult.  But do not worry for
the adhikara for Devi Bhakti is only overflowing love for Mataji.  When
one meets that qualification, our shastras say She will appear as the Guru
in some shape or form 100% guaranteed.

Unfortunately I cannot take on that responsibility myself.  My moTAmAmA
Shri Vallabhram Vaidyaraj (Dave) was an extremely learned upasaka but he
went to Kailasa when I was quite young and I did not get an opportunity to
get diksha from him though I have learned a lot from his written notes.
So I can offer you some advice based on that and Gujarati parampara.

First of all, whatever you do, do it with discipline.  It is no good
starting up grand schemes and then abandoning them half way through or
doing them haphazardly.  So while I am going to suggest a number of
things, be realistic about what you can manage.

Second, whatever you do, do it with the correct bhava.  The tamasika
bhakti is that which is done out of fear.  (i.e. Mataji will punish me or
cause misfortune if I do not worship Her.)  Rajasika bhakti is done out of
selfishness (i.e. Mataji will reward me with material wealth or siddhis
etc. if I worship Her.)  The pure sattvika bhakti is that which is done
purely out of love for Mataji and dedicating all words, deeds, and
thoughts to Her without any expectations.

For daily puja I can send you the details for the basic panchopachara puja
offline (Let me know if you prefer instructions in Gujarati or English.)
one should also do atleast one mala of navarna mantra (aiM hR^iM kliM
chAmuNDAyai vichchhe) daily with rudrakshamala.  (Or once one has had
diksha shrividya mantra etc.)

One should do atleast some parayana of shastras; ideally the entire Chandi
Path with purva and uttara angas.  However this takes about 2-3 hours so
is not feasible for most people.  If the whole thing cannot be recited in
one sitting one can just read the madhyama charita (adhyayas 2-4) with
angas.  Never the other two charitas.  Or one can recite one of the
stotras found within the Chandi Path (Shakradaya stuti, Devi sukta, Ratri
sukta) by itself.  Other stotras recommended for daily parayana are
Saundarya Lahari by Shankaracharya, Shyamala Dandakam (ascribed to
Kalidasa,) Lalita sahasranama from Brahmanda Purana or Devi Gita from
Devibhagavata Purana.  All these are available with Gujarati translations
albeit of varying quality.  I have found the editions by Sastu Sahitya
karyalaya and Gita Press are the best.  Despite not being in Sanskrit, the
aarti Jaya Adyashakti or the Vishvambhari stuti etc. are also suitable as
the have deep philosophical and spiritual meaning.

Observe all the utsavas during the year.  Vasanta, and Sharadiya
Navaratris and Mahashivaratri are the most important.  Offer your kuladevi
mahanaivedya on Ashvin Sud 8 or Vad 14 (depends on family traditions.)  Do
upvas.  If you do agiyarash that is fine otherwise sud aatham
(Durgashtami) of each month or Fridays are good days.

There is much more and if you have specific questions please let us know
but hopefully this is enough to get you started.