[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 04:49:34 CDT 2012

Hari Om, Bhaskarji,

The crux of your response seems to be that in tradition ONLY shAstra vAkya
shravaNa is considered important, while in Maharshi's method, its not so.
However, I do not think it is so as I mentioned in my previous mail.
Maharshi's teachings though his own are very much inline with the tradition
and shAstrAs. When we do shravaNa of teachings, guru mukhena, we don't
expect the guru to just repeat shAstra words alone, but even explain those.
Why that, modern vedantic teachers who belong to the tradition even don't
use Sanskrit words at all and teach in English, etc. There, we consider the
pramANa to still be the underlying shruti. Same goes for Maharshi's
teachings. They are very much based on Vedanta, so much so that the
Maharshi had himself said that something to the effect that although his
teachings are from his own anubhava, they are same as Bhagavatpada
Shankaracharya's.

You seem to be of the opinion that only shruti vAkya AS IS is useful for
realization in the tradition while I feel that as long as any teaching is
derivative of the shruti, basing itself on the advaita tattva, it holds
good for realization.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> >  Even for the uttama adhikAri-s, advaita vedAnta's tradition recommends
> shAstra vAkya shravaNa.

gurupAdukArpaNamastu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */