[Advaita-l] Advaita and Islam

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 05:57:57 CST 2012

Dear Scholars,

If we read Shankara DigVijaya, we learn that Shankara was very strong in
attacking what he considered as adharmic paths. He is said to have
destroyed 72 durmathas through intense campaign. But when we read the
anecdotes in the lives of later mathathipathis, we see that they recognized
Islam as a bonafide religion. If one reads the life of Muhammad and
foundations of Islam (
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Truth-about-Muhammad-Intolerant-Religion/dp/1596985283/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353757088&sr=1-10#reader_B000RH0C5E),
we see if such a favourable position to an adharmic path is right. I
understand the risks he followers of tradition if they spoke strongly
against Islam especially under Islamic rule. But I dont see the need for
approving a path that does not espouse dharma. Can someone clarify?

Best Regards
Rajaram Venkataramani