[Advaita-l] Bhagavad GIta - 745 Verses

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 11:34:12 CST 2012

Dear Venkata Sriramji,

It seems you have not read the book "ancient bhagavat gita", which you say you have. I will request you to count the total number of verses in that book and also to count the number of verses spoken by each of the speakers and tally these with what should the counts be according to the sloka of Vaishampayana. That self-styled IAS godman had just copied his book from another book published from Gujarat in the early 20th century. The original Bhagavad Gita with exactly 745 verses and conforming exactly to the specifications given in the sloka of Vaishampayana has not yet been published.

Secondly it is strange that Shri Tethiyur Sastrigal is struggling with all the 700 slokas to understand. Please ask him to pray to Lord Krishna and read the Sankarabhashya on the Bhagavad Gita once more and supplement that, if necessary, with one reading of the Subodhini bhashya of Sridha swami. I am sure he will be able to understand at least some of the verses. With faith in Lord Krishna and reading the bhashyas of Adi Sankaracharya and Sridhara Swami severaal times,eventually he should be able to understand what Lord Krishna Was telling Arjuna. Let him not be so pessimistic.

Regards,
Sunil KB