[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Nov 16 07:05:56 CST 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:

> In SBh 1.5.12, Kadalangudi Sastrigal translates that atma jnanam does not
> look well when devoid of devotion to the supreme lord. In SBh 3.29.13, it
> is clearly said that a pure devotee does not want any kind of liberation
> including ekatvam. A similar view is expressed in SBh 4.9.29.
> In SBh
> 2.3.10, three kinds of devotes are talked about. One who is free from all
> desires, one who has all desires and one who has desire for liberation. So,
> it is not that there are only devotees with desires in the material world
> and devotees who want to get out of it.There are akama bhaktas who perform
> devotion only because of attraction to the lord. We may not have that kind
> of devotion but cannot say that it does not exist.

Desire for liberation is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it when it is desire
which is the cause of bondage in the first place.  But everyone has to say
atleast "I want jnana."  So Advaita Vedanta acknowledges that but says
that as the sadhaka advances even that desire will burn away and he will
just come to mukti as it happens.

It's the same with the bhakta.  Savitri did not "relish" death she was
just following Satyavan and that is where it led her.  A bhakta is in
constant communion with his Lord.  That will lead to moksha.  There is no
desire involved.