[Advaita-l] Books on Bhagawatam

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:31:13 CDT 2012

At that stage Narada advised him to write the Bhagavatam so that it should
be intelligible to all and he promptly  listened to Narada's advice. It is
pity that Sridhara swami found that more elucidation of Bhagavatam is
required.

It is true to Sri Vedavyasa wrote Srimat Bhagavatam for laymen and women.
But, it doesn't mean that it doesn't need elucidation. Mahabharatam
involves lot of *dharma vichikitsa* for which reason it is called 5th
vEdam. However, bhagavatam involves bhakti by enumerating incomparable
vibhUti-s and leela-s. Listening to them, one gets to contemplate on the
Lord and develop bhakti. This approach helps people whose premise is faith
rather than inquiry - like women and Shudra-s (of the original
varNa-aaSrama vyavastha, obviously; today's 'laywomen' and laymen not
capable of even that). Again, it need not be told again that bhakti is only
for them. It is for all.

-Sarma

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> With all respects to the great Shridhara swami for the trouble he had
> taken to write the commentary on the Bhagavatam but at the same time I feel
> sad for Vedavyasa as it appears that he failed in his mission. According to
> the Padma purana Vedavyasa wrote the Mahabharata for the layman and woman
> and at the end of it he was sad as he found that the Mahabharata did not
> become as easy as necessary  for the intended readers to understand it
> fully.
>
> At that stage Narada advised him to write the Bhagavatam so that it should
> be intelligible to all and he promptly  listened to Narada's advice. It is
> pity that Sridhara swami found that more elucidation of Bhagavatam is
> required. Again with without any disregard for Sridhara swami I admit that
> I found the Bhagavatam (the original text translated toBengali) very
> enjoyable to read  and in my childhood I used to read that to my
> grandmother, who found reading somewhat hard in her old age.
>
> Regards,
> Sunil KB

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

धन्योस्मि
- श्यामसुन्दर शर्मा
http://anantavaram.blogspot.com