[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 07:30:58 CDT 2012

Namaste Sri Sriram

You have given very nice details regarding Gayatri Japa. Thank you.

There is one more question. Normally when we do Japa or Dhyana of
something we have to close our eyes. I am doing Gayatri Japa with eyes
closed.  We are told to keep eyes closed in Pranayama. In doing Asanas
we have to keep eyes open.  But you are saying we have to Visualize a
white light. In Trataka the eyes are open and focusing on one point.

Are eyes open or closed in Gayatri Japa and Dhyana? Which is correct?

> But what are the simple Asanas and Pranayamas? Is only Padmasana
> enough? What is the list of simple Asanas we can practice?
>
> //
>
> As far as i am concerned, i do surya namaskaras with 12 asanas.  Each asana should be
> performed by uttering 1 mantra of surya.  So, total 12 mantras are chanted alongwith 12 asanas.  This is one complete round of surya namaskara.  These can be repeated depending upon the time and stamina.  Each round takes hardly 10 minutes which is very refreshing early in the morning.
>
> Now, when prANAyAma is concerned, this has to be learnt under good yogacharya.  prANAyAma is a must in sandhyavandana without which sandhya is useless.  Even Acharya Sankara says in gAyatri mantra bhASya as *EvaM vidhA gAyatrI prANAyAmaiH upAsyA* ie., gAyatri mantra upAsana is done with prANAyAma only.
>
> This cannot be mastered in a single day but requires practice.  Slowly, the cycles of prANAyAma should be increased.  A total of 16 prANAyAmAs are prescribed in sandhyAvandana.  In sandhya, the prANAyAma is called *vihita prANAyAma* whereas
> Shri Abhinava Vidyatirtha practiced the prANAyAma as per the Raja Yoga (as you mentioned).  This is practiced as:
>
> 4 seconds (puraka from left nostril): 16 seconds (kumbhaka) : 8 seconds (rechaka from right nostril) ; 4 seconds (puraka from right nostril) : no kumbhaka ; 8 seconds (rechaka from left nostril) ;Then breath should be held for 16 seconds
>
> The above method is one cycle of prANAyAma in Raja Yoga.
>
> However, in vihita prANAyAma as a part of sandhya:
>
> 4 seconds (puraka from left nostril) ; 30 seconds kumbhaka ;
>
> For each 10 seconds of kumbhaka, gAyatri mantra alongwith 7 vyAhritis and shiras should be chanted.  So, for 30 seconds of kumbhaka, 3 times mental chanting of gAyatri is done.
>
> This is 1 cycle of prANAyAma.  This is reversed again with right nostril.  Like this, 3 times should be performed after each Achamana.
>
> So, if sandhyavandana is done as it ought to be, it would take a min. of 1 hour with complete cycle of prANAyAmAs and 108 gAyatri mantra japa anuSTAna.
>
> Now, the main part of sandhyavandana is gAyatri dhyAna and japa.  In what way, the *bhargas* of the savita is being visualized.  What is the mode of the bhargas dhyAna paddhati.  All these issues are extremely important.  The dhyAna of bhargas itself is a
> yoga which comes again through practice. One must learn how to visualize the jyotirdhAraNa paddhati though trATaka abhyAsa. Gradually, the sAdhaka is able to visualize a while dazzling light.  Initially, the lakSya of dhyAna should be *bahir-lakSya* as explained in *maNDala brAhmaNa upaniSad*.  Gradually, the *antarlakSya sAdhana* should be practiced.  This is the steps involved in *jyOtir vidya* for the jyOtir darSana.
>
> trATAbhyAsa vidhiM vidyAdhi kAraNaM chAha / darsanam jyOtiSOyAvat tAvat
> trATakaM abhyAsEt vidyAdhikArI bhavati / tataH shrIgurubhaktimAn shrIgururukti
> [...]

Regards

-Venkatesh