[Advaita-l] Sharaba

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 02:36:26 CDT 2012

>The Saiva view is not acceptable to Advaita. Adi Sankara has rejected
>Saiva Pasupata views.

Adi shankara can say and do anything he wants...and it might or might not have substance.

Anyway the sharabha story appears in the shiva purANa and the linga and the skAnda purANa-s and not in some pAshupata texts.

As far as I know shankara says nothing about this story in any of his works, except for a small explanation of the name sharabha in his viShNu sahasranAma bhAShya. Correct me if I am wrong here.

>This incident is showing we have to worship Narasimha but not Sarabha
>tomorrow.

The incident says nothing about nR^isiMha-sharabha relationship.

According to the nArada purANa, sharabha is invoked for protection in the context of nR^siMha worship.

I have known shrI vaiShNava-s who were successful sharabha upAsaka-s, in person.

>Also to mention the fact that in the Lakshmi Nrusimha Karavalamba stotram, Sankara says the
>crown of Brahma, Indra and Rudra are at the foot of Narasimha. Does
>this in any way mean that Sankara does not accept the Shaiva view?

It is a common feature where other devata-s are mentioned as being subordinate when praising a certain devata.
One does not read too much into this.. because, you will some shiva stotra-s attributed to Shankara where viShNu might be mentioned as praising rudra.
For a vaiShNava pA~ncharAtrika there is no difference between rudra and nR^isiMha. For them rudra = nR^isiMha.