[Advaita-l] Brahmin bridegrooms not getting brides

Abhishek Madhyastha abhishek046 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:30:22 CDT 2012

Pranams,

I myself have observed one thing as the admin of a page called
"Brahmin Culture and Tradition" which is the largest page consisting
of brahmins on facebook. My sole aim has been to reinstate faith in
the Brahmana dharma. Around 55-60% members are men while women
compromise of 45-50%. Surprisingly, around 65-70% are youth and mostly
from Maharashtra area. Most females have no idea about the shastras
compared to males. Maybe this is because boys get atleast minimal
exposure durin gtheir upanayana. Most females have blind faith in our
culture. They are not total non-believers but the general notion is
they are not ready to believe or live under the bounds of shastras
unless they are convinced as to why. They demand a secure life and
they feel they cannot get it if they marry a vaidhika. I know of a
person back in my native who's father is a vaidhika. He got into
engineering but learnt the vaidhika dharma from his father. To this
day he performs rituals for people free of cost in all his free time!
The bottomline is that brahmins of these times, especially small
children and teenagers have no exposure to the greatness of the
Brahmana dharma and its history. Once the upanayana is done,
finished!! That's the last time the boy will hear any spiritual
aspects in his life, forget about Brahmin dharma. We all expect an
instant solution to this but that's seems impossible unless we see an
avatara of god. The only way from what I'm seeing is that there needs
to be a completely united forum/platform for the entire country
covering all types of Brahmins and under this platform we must bring
faith in Brahmins, especially in the youth of the nation. Why I stress
"youth" is that, even though I'm the admin of such a huge page I'm an
18 year old teenager myself. I myself see many of my Brahmin friends
have little knowledge about our dharma,etc. When I speak to them about
it, they do show interest to learn more. Even the worst of my Brahmin
friends that I've seen(he smokes and drinks) wants to and does
performs sandhyavandana once a day! When I ask him why, he says he has
faith in god and he does these things not by his will but because of
his friends. Absence of satsanga. This is the way Brahmins nowadays
are getting spoilt. As the Bhaja Govindam says- "Satsangatve
nissagatvam".