[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 27 05:55:16 CDT 2012

I shall not bother you by presenting further examples.

praNAms Sri Shivashankara prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I'd like to add one more example to the list of names you have mentioned.
That name is none other than Sri shivashankara prabhuji.  IMHO, if at all
there is a provision for upanayana saMskAra for the Westerners, the first
and foremost person entitle to undergo that saMskAra is your goodself.
Your shraddha, bhakti, jnAna is nowhere less than that of a shrOtreeya
brAhmaNa.

But I,m  still  wondering whether there is any suitable provision for this
saMskAra with prAyaschitta in our uncompromising rigid dharma shAstra!! .
Why I am getting this doubt  is, sometime back, I had asked a question to
well respected scholar in this list with regard to upanayana saMskAra to
one of the ligAyat boys whose father is ligAyat but mother is smArta
brAhmin (love marriage!!:-)) who wants to get upanayana saMskAra done to
her son!!  The answer from that scholar & also from Mattur pundits
(including my guruji ) was strict 'NO'.

But again, after reading all these explanations from the replies, I am
getting an impression that  upanayana saMskAra can be done, as a special
case,  to the sincere adhyAtama student/sAdhaka who wants to do his
sAdhana in veda mArga.  But there is no provision as such to do conversion
in general & upanayana saMskAra in particular to the person from 'outside'
(outside the caste of brAhmaNa but within Hindu fold or a Westerner)  who
wants to lead a normal (loukika) life of a Hindu brAhmaNa.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar