[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 02:59:33 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ramesh Krishnamurthy
<rkmurthy at gmail.com>wrote:

> There is absolutely nothing contradictory about non-overlapping
> jurisdictions at the level of pramANa on the one hand and mature
> philosophies such as the various mImAMsA sysems being able to
> accommodate different cause-effect models on the other. A philosophy
> is based on multiple pramANa-s and indeed one of the signal
> contributions of the pUrva-mImAMsaka-s has been the enunciation of a
> mature pramANa-shAstra.
>
> To be even clearer, let me state that it is the mImAMsA systems which
> lay out what the pramANa-s are and what are their areas of
> applicability.

I had a detailed talk about the theory of evolution viz-a-viz the Vedic
tradition with the widely admitted authority in pUrvamImAmsA shAstra, Dr
Mani Dravid SastrigaL.  In just one remark, a true mark of an eminent
scholar of his genre, he dismissed the possibility of accommodating the
above theory into the Vaidika method of thinking:  He said, in Tamil: 'avA
tarkattai vecchunDuthAne chollara, adu eppaDi oru tIrmAnamAgum?' [They say
only based on tarka, logic.  How can it be a conclusive proof?] And went on
to allude to the Sutra bhashya on tarkApratiShThAnAt where it is
established that 'a conclusion based on tarka today can be unsettled by a
more efficient tarka of tomorrow.  It is impossible to bring together at
one platform, at one point of time, the logicians of all the times of past
present and future and determine things.'

And he approved the arguments the Sringeri Acharya had given on the topic
as the correct view to hold on this.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v